1. What information do we collect?
We collect personal information and usage information when a parent (“Parent” or “You”) downloads and uses the App, including:
- Information you provide to us. When you sign up for an account on the PopApp Books app, we collect your email address. When you click on our email to verify your email address. We may collect additional information from you if you contact our technical support team, send us an email, complete a user survey, or otherwise communicate with us.
- Information you provide about your child. During account registration, we ask you to provide a nickname. We recommend you select a nickname or silly name for your child’s user name, and do not use your child’s real name, for additional security purposes. We do not ask for or collect any additional personal information from your child.
- App usage information we collect when you use the App. We collect information about how you use the App, such as the features you use and the time spent on the App. We associate this information with an internal account ID we assign to you for our internal purposes, including, for example, personalize your experience based on your App use. We may also collect other information from your device(s) or from the app store through which you downloaded the Khan Academy Kids app. For example, we may collect information about the device(s) you use to access the App (e.g., device type, model and manufacturer, mobile device operating system brand and model, preferred language). We may collect analytics data to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the App.
2. How we use the information we collect
We use the information we collect to:
- Operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features of our app.
- Personalize your experience while using the app.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to send you emails about PopApp Books and other services or products that may be of interest to you.
- Understand and analyze the usage trends, behaviors, and preferences of our users, to improve the way the App works and looks, and to develop new features and functionality.
- Maintain, develop, support, and improve our App and other educational products and services.
3. How we share or transfer data to others
We care deeply about the privacy of our users. We do not rent or sell your personal information to third parties for their own purposes without your consent. We share or disclose your personal information only as needed to provide our service and in the following circumstances:
- Service Providers. We may share information with third party service providers, which may include hosting, analytics and event tracking providers such as Play Services, Firebase Analytics, Google Analytics, Firebase Authentication, email providers such as Mailchimp, and development tools such as Unity.
- Other. We may disclose personal information if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof; (c) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of PopApp Books, our users or the public; or (e) as required or permitted by law.
4. Marketing, advertising and email communications
Email communications. PopApp Books may, from time to time, send you email regarding our products and services, or products and services we think you may enjoy. Only PopApp Books (or our vendors or service providers operating on our behalf) will send you these emails. You can choose not to receive these emails by clicking the unsubscribe link in any email. Please note that you are not permitted to unsubscribe or opt-out of non-promotional messages regarding your account, such as account verification, changes or updates to features of the App, or technical or security notices.
Interest based advertising. Outside of the PopApp Books app, we may engage in interest-based advertising to deliver online advertisements about our App, and may use third party advertising companies to serve targeted advertisements on other websites, apps or services, including on Facebook, Instagram and other social networks.
5. How to access, update or delete your personal information
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to update or delete your personal information.
6. Our approach to data security
Data security is important to you, and to us. We use certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards designed to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information and other information we maintain in connection with our App. However, no security system is impenetrable, and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and will notify you of the security incident in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
7. How do we protect Children’s Privacy?
Our App is intended to be used by children under 13 only with the consent and oversight of a parent. An adult with a verified email address must download the App and create an account before permitting a child to use the App. Please contact us at email@example.com if you believe we have inadvertently collected information from a child under 13 without consent from a parent or guardian so that we may delete the information as soon as possible.
The following applies when a child uses the App with a parent’s consent and oversight:
- What information do we collect? We collect usage information when a child or parent uses the App, which we associate with the parent’s information. We do not collect other personal information from the child.
- How do we use this information? We use it to operate, personalize, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features of our App. We do not use this information for marketing or advertising purposes.
- How do we share the child’s information? We share the information only with our service providers, and otherwise as described in Section 3 above. We do not share the child’s information with third parties for their own purposes.
- How can a parent control the child’s information? A parent should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to permanently delete the child’s information from our systems.
8. European Union Data Protection
For personal data subject to the European Union General Data Processing Regulations ("GDPR"), we rely on several legal bases to process the data. These legal bases include where:
- The processing is necessary to perform our contractual obligations in our Terms of Service or other contracts with you (such as to provide you the App as described in our Terms of Service);
- You have given your prior consent, which you may withdraw at any time (such as for marketing purposes or other purposes we obtain your consent for from time to time);
- The processing is necessary to comply with a legal obligation, a court order or to exercise or defend legal claims;
- The processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, such as in improving, personalizing, and developing the App, marketing the App, such as new features or products that may be of interest, and promoting safety and security as described above.
Residents in the European Union are entitled to certain rights with respect to personal information that we hold about them:
- Right of access and portability. The right to obtain access to your personal information, along with certain related information, and to receive that information in a commonly used format and to have it transferred to another data controller;
- Right to rectification. The right to obtain rectification of your personal information without undue delay where that personal information is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Right to erasure. The right to obtain the erasure of your personal information without undue delay in certain circumstances, such as where the personal information is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed;
- Right to restriction. The right to obtain the restriction of the processing undertaken by us on your personal information in certain circumstances, such as where the accuracy of the personal information is contested by you, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of that personal information; and
- Right to object. The right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to the processing of your personal information, and to object to processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes, to the extent it is related to such direct marketing.
If you have any questions about or would like further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided below.
9. Links to other sites
11. Contacting PopApp Books
Please contact PopApp Books with any questions or comments.
By email: email@example.com
Effective date: 15.09.2019